Re: Emacs for Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs for Windows
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 18:07:20 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 09:48:45 -0400
>
> I definitely don't mean one that's present out of the box.  But one that
> people can easily install once and then use it to
> install/uninstall/update Emacs and whatever other Free Software
> she wants.
>
> I think such a package manager would really help spread the use of Free
> Software under Windows.

Like I said, I'm not aware of such a beast.  Some projects have their
own facilities, specific to the project (Cygwin and MinGW each have
such thing), but they are incompatible and cannot read each other's
metadata.  To say nothing of the fact that they are only good for
ports that are offered by the respective projects, and so are useless
for 3rd-party ports.