Re: n00b installing 24.4

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: n00b installing 24.4
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:53:21 -0400

On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 12:44 -0700, Steven Arntson wrote:
> I've been using emacs 24.3.1 with Ubuntu 14.04, and generally doing
> fine. I downloaded 24.4, and ran ./configure, and got the following
> warnings about missing libraries:
>
> |checking for libXaw... configure: error: No X toolkit could be found.
>
> and:
>
> |configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
> |    libXpm libjpeg libpng libgif/libungif libtiff
> |Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
> |If you don't want to link with them give
> |    --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no
> |    --with-tiff=no
>
> Seeing "jpeg" and "png" makes me think this is some pretty normal stuff
> that is probably on my computer somewhere, but the installer can't find
> them, but I also do not know how to find them!

Most GNU/Linux distributions these days will split up libraries into two
different packages: a runtime package which contains the files you need
to run already-built binaries, and a developer package which contains
the files you need to build new binaries using those libraries.

If you've used Emacs on your system before, you definitely have the
former.  If you've not built any programs that require them, you almost
certainly don't have the latter.

The way to get these, and their names, varies from distribution to
distribution.  On Debian-derived distributions like Ubuntu the packages
usually have a "-dev" extension.  So, for example:

  $ apt-cache search 'libpng.*-dev'
  libpng12-dev - PNG library - development
  libpng++-dev - C++ interface to the PNG (Portable Network Graphics) library
  libpnglite-dev - lightweight C library for loading and writing PNG images

The first one is the one you want, so you'd run:

  $ sudo apt-get install libpng12-dev

And etc. for the other packages.

You can probably search the internet and find detailed instructions for
compiling Emacs on Ubuntu.