subword-mode

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: subword-mode
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:47:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I'm trying to get subword-mode enabled so that it is the default for
forward/backward word backward-kill-word. I am unfortunately experiencing two
problems and I hope this list can assist me:

1. There doesn't appear to be a setting to globally replace the basic
forward/backward, so I am falling back to rebinding my keys manually... is this
the only way to do it?

2. My primary use of emacs is to edit Scala source code and the subword-mode
doesn't always do the right thing. For example, in the following code:

 def canBuildFromFormat[F, E, T]()(
    implicit
    cbf: CanBuildFrom[F, E, T],
    ef: SexpFormat[E]
  ): SexpFormat[T] = ???

if the point is after ???, I would expect a subword-backward to bring me to the
start of the ??? (or at least to the =)... but instead it brings me all the way
back to the [T. This is particularly annoying when using subword-backward-kill.

Is there a way to define some (possibly language-specific) word boundaries for
special characters and make it more source code friendly?

Best regards,
Sam

PS: I opened a related ticket on scala-mode2
https://github.com/hvesalai/sbt-mode/issues/22 incase it makes sense to add
such customisations to the scala-mode2 itself.