Re: Find bindings for all modes

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Find bindings for all modes
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 03:09:05 +0000

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
>>    I'd like to use C-j as a prefix key.
>>    Note: I have limited mobility in my hands and always have the
>>    control key to the left of my "A" key.
>
> I wanted to do something similar in order to have a general-purpose
> prefix key on the right hand side of the keyboard. (I strongly prefer to
> use opposite hands for the modifier(s) and they keys themselves. So
> `C-c` or `C-x r` are fine, but I'm not a big fan of e.g. `C-x o`.

I'm not sure I understand John Mastro & Tim Johnson are trying to
achieve here.  However, there are a few keys that are much less trouble
to use:

* C-' C-# C-. C-, C-; C-=.
Undefined by default.

* C--, C-1, C-2,..., M--, M-1, M-2, ....
These are duplicates.  If you like you can use one set of them and
redefine the other.  Notice that C-4 & M-4 are almost useless since
in most circumstances they do the same thing as C-u.

* M-o.
This isn't very useful unless you use enriched-mode.

* M-s.
The existing M-s prefix key doesn't have very much in it.  Eventually the
Emacs maintainers will put more in no-doubt, but until then you can put
a few things in it.

* C-c X.
This is left as the default user-defined prefix key.

Some of these don't work in terminals, I don't know which ones because I
don't use terminals.

BR,
Robert Thorpe