Re: hash strangeness

From: Tom
Subject: Re: hash strangeness
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 21:29:17 +0000 (UTC)

Barry Margolin <barmar <at> alum.mit.edu> writes:

> > I expect '(a b c) to create a new list with these symbols
> > every time it runs.
>
> Why do you expect that?
>
> '(a b c) is short for (quote (a b c)). quote returns its argument, it
> doesn't make a copy of it.

Okay, but when I write '(a b c) in a function then I'd consider it
an ad hoc list in the current context in the function, not as an object
which outlives the exiting of the function and then returns in the

> I'm sure somewhere in the Elisp programming manual it mentions that you
> shouldn't use destructive functions on literal lists, like the Common
> Lisp spec does.

Well, the quoting page doesn't mention it:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Quoting.html