Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 01:35:51 +0100

> I just put the following in my init file:
>
>     (let ((source (format "~/src/emacs/emacs-%s/" emacs-version)))
>       (when (file-directory-p source)
>         (setq source-directory source)))

Of course, but this has to be done manually by end users to "clean-up"
wrong hard coded path. You can still do that if you want, but I believe
that the default has to be changed to something more reasonable. Since
there exist strict conventions on directory structure for open-source
software deployment ("bin", "src", "share", etc.), these have to be
exploited to install sources under ".../src/emacs" and referring to this
directory *relatively* from the currently running Emacs executable. To me
that looks like a robust and cross-platform default.