Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 09:53:33 +0100

() Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com>
() Tue, 4 Nov 2014 01:35:51 +0100

   there exist strict conventions

Hmm, that sounds like an oxymoron to my ears...

If you want to copy the C files on "make install" to DIR (a
laudable initiative, you are to be commended!), i suggest you:

- grok configure.ac
- add there support for option ‘--install-C-source DIR’
  (with default not to install)
- arrange to tweak ‘source-directory’ on "make install"
- test a few times
  - in "strict convention" contexts
  - outside "strict convention" contexts
    (use your imagination, or ask around;
    weird and wonderful people abound!)
- post a patch for review
- bask in the glow once the revised^N patch is installed
- mention this (v.cool, IMHO) feature on EmacsWiki

Lastly, you can (optionally) prepare for the onslaught of
"next step" bug reports, wherein users stumble upon the
feature and wonder how to make a modification to the code
and see the effect immediately in action.  That sweet
confusion is something we can address together, here.  :-D

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502