Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 17:47:04 +0200

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 01:35:51 +0100
> From: Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com>
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>

> > I just put the following in my init file:
> >
> >     (let ((source (format "~/src/emacs/emacs-%s/" emacs-version)))
> >       (when (file-directory-p source)
> >         (setq source-directory source)))
> >

> Of course, but this has to be done manually by end users to "clean-up"
> wrong hard coded path.

You can provide your users with a site-init file that will do it for
them.

Moreover, if source-directory points to a non-existing place, Emacs
will prompt (once) for the source directory.

> Since there exist strict conventions on directory structure for
> open-source software deployment ("bin", "src", "share", etc.)

Where did you find conventions about the "src" trees?  Can you provide
a link to those conventions?  I'm not aware of such conventions.

> these have to be exploited to install sources under ".../src/emacs"

This is wrong: it doesn't include the version number, so it will be
overwritten by each new installation.

> To me that looks like a robust and cross-platform default.

Defaults only make sense if they are widely used.  This one isn't.