Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 13:57:43 -0500

Alexander Shukaev wrote:

> Adding "src/emacs" and supporting it by default is just the right
> thing to do.

I really don't think it is. The only thing I have ever seen use /usr/src
on GNU/Linux machines is the Linux kernel and other related items where
the sources are needed for compiling kernel modules.

I have never seen a single program install its sources there for
information purposes only, which is what this would be. So I would not
like Emacs to accept a patch to do that.

IMO the only possible location for an optional `install-source' target
to install to is share/emacs/VERSION/src. I don't expect any pre-built
binary package of Emacs to ever use such a feature, but I would not have
a problem with such a patch.