Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 14:00:25 -0700

Alexander Shukaev wrote:
> > I really don't think it is. The only thing I have ever seen use /usr/src
> > on GNU/Linux machines is the Linux kernel and other related items where
> > the sources are needed for compiling kernel modules.
>
> Perhaps you should look into "/usr/local/src". This is the place where
> package managers can fetch the so-called "source packages", those which
> contain only the source code.

The /usr/local tree won't be used directly by package managers.
Talking dpkg and rpm specifically here.  The /usr/local tree is for
the local admin to do with as they will.  (PATH variables such as
Perl's INC and others may include /usr/local paths so that packaged
tools integrate into the packaged tools installed into system
directories.)  If you want it installed by a package manager then the
/usr/share/emacs/VERSION directory is about the only acceptable place
for it.

Personally I always felt that if you want to look at the source code
then it makes the most sense to download source and compile it.  In
which case source will be wherever you have placed it.  In my case
that is in my ~/src/foo directory tree.  Being my own copy it means I
can make modifications and compile those modifications.  Having
modified it means that I want it in version control so that I can use
it for diff'ing, for branching, generating patches, and general source
control.

Bob