Emacs *-mode add-hook functions (not working>)

From: 3246251196ryan
Subject: Emacs *-mode add-hook functions (not working>)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 06:18:40 -0800 (PST)

In order to use CEDET with Windows I need to tell semantic to append include
files to search through to "the" list. In order to do this, I run a function on
C++ mode. For example:

===
(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'rjd-my-semantic-load-includes)
===

^^^^^ This is fine. When I load up a .cpp file the function is called and all
the necessary headers are included and CEDET parses them.

However, a few lines down I have this line:

===
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'rjd-my-semantic-load-includes)
===

At work we do not adhere to calling C++ include files with the .hpp file
extension. Our header files are .h - thus, emacs considers this to be a C
style. When I open a .h file however I know the hook function has not been
called (and I can prove it if  you wish unless you are just happy to accept
this).

What am I doing wrong with these hook functions?

===

The simply way to get around this is to - having loaded up a .h file - do "M-x
c-mode" and then the hook function runs and everything is fine. But why do I
need to do this? The mode in the bottom of the emacs screen doesn't change even
after doing M-x c-mode, it is always (C/1 Abbrev).

Cheers.