Re: Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?

From: 3246251196ryan
Subject: Re: Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 16:51:28 -0800 (PST)

I am in the same situation. At work Windows is a must, unfortunately. We use
Msvc but I am avidly a fan of GNU like things and always use emacs for all. So
when I first joined I set about making emacs my ide.  Only time - like previous
poster said - I use vc ide is for debugging.

But as another poster said, it will consume time. A lot of times I have been
working on a problem for work and spent a while hacking emacs to get something
to work. I have needed to change some things in compile . el for instance.

But when it's all set up its very nice. I run compilation mode through emacs
etc - and with said changes to compile I can jump to the line of error etc. I
use CEDET/semantic for Intellisense. Vc mode and all the rest of it. We use
msys at work so that is used in shell mode.

I generally forget I am on windows because all is done on emacs whose windows I
spread across two monitors and just keep at least a permanent middle split of
buffers.

I would say it's worth it but expect a little annoyance and thus perseverance
to hack things around to get it to work.