Re: ispell for Windows (ASPELL dict' problem)

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: ispell for Windows (ASPELL dict' problem)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 16:56:04 +0100

3246251196ryan@gmail.com writes:

> In order to get ispell to work with Windows/Emacs I am following this Aspell
> guide:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AspellWindows
>
> However, it all of a sudden talk about a:
> (setq ispell-personal-dictionary "C:/path/to/your/.ispell")
>
> What is this about?

AFAIK the personal dictionary is where your own words are stored. When
an unknown word is found while spell-checking, you are offered the
candidates for correcting it, but you also have the option of adding the
word to your personal dictionary.

I suppose that the .ispell file is created as soon as you add the first
word to your personal dictionary.

[snip]

> I have tried:
> (setq ispell-personal-dictionary "C:/Program Files
> (x86)/Aspell/dict/en_GB.multi")

This is wrong because you are trying to use a pre-existing regular
dictionary as your personal dictionary. AFAIK the regular dictionaries
are on a read-only format.

[snip]