Re: [git] puplic repo url incorrect or server overloaded?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: [git] puplic repo url incorrect or server overloaded?
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 14:01:49 +0100

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:43:50 +0100 dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter
Wilhelm) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using the address from the EmacsWiki
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitForEmacsDevs#toc4)
>
>     git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
>
> It seems to be correct since `git remote show ALIAS' shows seemingly the
> right content. But with `git fetch ALIAS' I'm getting
>
>       fatal: read error: Connection reset by peer
>
> or sometimes no response but no download seems to happen...
>
> Is this just a sign that the server is overloaded or am I'm doing
> something wrong?

According to http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs it should be this:

git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

(I assume "sv" and "savannah" are the same machine, but the ".git"
extension may be necessary.  I used the corresponding invocation for
members fours hours ago and it worked find.)

Steve Berman