Re: [git] puplic repo url incorrect or server overloaded?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [git] puplic repo url incorrect or server overloaded?
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:21:28 -0700

H. Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> Stephen Berman writes:
> > H. Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> > >     git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
> > > Is this just a sign that the server is overloaded or am I'm doing
> > > something wrong?

The server was overloaded.  I wrote that in my other message but
wanted to address these points separately.

> > According to http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs it should be this:
> >
> > git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
>
> > (I assume "sv" and "savannah" are the same machine,

Yes.  The sv is an alias to savannah.  A typing aid.  The canonical
name is vcs.savannah.gnu.org but any of the aliases to it are fine
too.  You will also see aliases for cvs and bzr and others too.

> > but the ".git" extension may be necessary.
>
> I see, thanks, I'm trying it now with the .git extension...

Whether a clone has a .git on the end or not is not important.  The
git clone will add a .git to the end automatically.

  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs

Is the same as:

  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git

Therefore I tend to leave it off to shorten things.  Otherwise there
is "git" in the command line about four different times!  At some
point it sounds like South Park's "Marklar marklar marklar".

Your problem was unrelated to the .git on the end or not.  Either way
there is fine.  Your problem was the overloaded server as I wrote
about in my other message.

Bob