Re: Looking for a buffer-cycling library

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Looking for a buffer-cycling library
Date: 16 Nov 2014 10:15:55 GMT

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> On 2014-11-15, at 12:31, Joost Kremers wrote:
>
>> Tim Johnson wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a buffer cycling mechanism that will ignore any
>>> buffer not loaded from or written to a file.
>>>
>>> Example - any buffer whose name begins with '*' would be "jumped
>>> over"
>
> Just my 2 cents: why not use Icicles?

Because, AFAIU, with Icicles you still need to type `C-x b` to switch
buffers. swbuff displays a list of buffers and allows you to cycle
through them. I've bound the relevant cycling commands to `C-TAB` and
`S-C-TAB`, so I can just press the control key and hit TAB a number of
times to get to the buffer I want.

I usually don't have too many open files, so most of the time I only
need to hit TAB a few times. Buffer switching is much faster that way
than by pressing `C-x b` and typing part of the buffer name.

I've recently bound `ido-switch-buffer` to `s-g`, making it a bit
quicker than `C-x b`, but I notice I still prefer to use C-TAB.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)