RE: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: RE: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:03:53 +0100

Drew Adams writes:

 > I would ask an opposite question: IF you could use Emacs frames
 > as easily as you can use Emacs windows, in what scenarios would
 > you prefer using Emacs windows, and why?

My favourite use of windows is for mail reading, sql interaction
and when working on two parts of the same file or two files with
a macro.

For e-mail, I think you all know at least one between rmail, gnus and
vm.

For sql interaction a sql editing buffer and a db connection buffer
are really a nice way to shot queries to a db for test and debug
purposes.

In these situations I feel that Emacs is "running an application" and
I feel more comfortable with all the application windows in the same
frame.

If the frames could really be used like windows, then, it could be
that I would be comfortable with separate frames.

On the other hand, my favourite use of frames is on an application
specific basis.

One frame for e-mail, one for DB-interaction... Some version ago Emacs
had a nice bug/feature that allowed you to create several WindowMaker
application icons with a single Emacs instance, and using a different
image for each application icon.

This was nice because that let me associate a certain frame with a
certain workspace (i.e. e-mail on workspace 1 and db-interaction on
workspace 6) and use a click on the application icon to jump to that
workspace.

[Now I can just assign different images to different miniwindows.]

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO