Re: Why is it not possible to use "nil" any more in init files ?

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Re: Why is it not possible to use "nil" any more in init files ?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:07:39 +0100

Thanks Phillip for your answer.

You wrote:
From my perspective, most people who write
(hated-mode nil)
are likely to be able to work out what is happening, while someone who
accidentally writes
(wanted-mode)
and later
(wanted-mode)
has a more pernicuous problem.

So the toggling functions have been broken too!? Anyway I’d say most such users don’t write, they just click/touch.

Now do you mean that for emacs developers too, unlearned user mistakes driven interfacing has become the guiding principle? I use *n?x systems because I preferred to learn a few things from the start and then know what happens and get what I want. Now this is more and more difficult as the (supposed) average behaviour of occasional users rules (and constantly changes, as well as its perception by new developers). Users who need to work productively are getting nervous because they don’t have time to spend playing with their configurations at each new release of any piece of software. Breaking backward compatibility had always been a NONO, even at Microsoft.

IMHO this "intuitive" paradigm is OK for phones/tablets, at least if some consensus can be found. And we all know that casual users will more and more use phones/tablets, not computers any more. As for the more motivated users, they should rather be helped with some good principles and tutorials, and not the developers adapt to their initial shortcomings.

Cheers,

Alexandre