RE: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: RE: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:54:54 +0100

Drew Adams writes:
 > >  > I would ask an opposite question: IF you could use Emacs frames
 > >  > as easily as you can use Emacs windows, in what scenarios would
 > >  > you prefer using Emacs windows, and why?
 > >
 > > ...mail reading, sql interaction and when working on two parts of
 > > the same file or two files with a macro...
 > >
 > > If the frames could really be used like windows, then, it could be
 > > that I would be comfortable with separate frames.
 >
 > That was the question.  "IF you could use frames as easily as you
 > can use Emacs windows..."  I certainly agree that currently you
 > cannot, especially with just vanilla Emacs.  But if you could...

Frankly, the answer is "I can't answer until I see it working".
But it could be yes, especially if it changes my habits only slightly.

 > FYI, you can use bookmarks to similar effect.  With Bookmark+ you
 > can just jump to this or that desktop bookmark, to change between
 > Emacs "workspaces", as defined by desktop.el.  And it doesn't
 > matter whether you use one frame or 37 frames for such a workspace.
 >
 > http://www.emacswiki.org/BookmarkPlus#DesktopBookmarks

I will give it a look, thank you!

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO