Re: Mac OS Keychain with SMTP

From: Paul Rankin
Subject: Re: Mac OS Keychain with SMTP
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:45:37 +1000

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>>> Please see Emacs bug#19074: Bug in auth-source.el's search of OS X
>>> Keychain at
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2014-11/msg00805.html
>>>
>>> There's a patch there which I haven't been able to test.  If you could,
>>> please try it and let me know your experience (in the bug thread or
>>> here).  You will have to pre-create your security tokens in the Mac
>>> OS X, since creating them through auth-source.el is not supported yet.
>
> PR> I applied the patch and can now successfully use SMTP with a password
> PR> without an .authinfo file.
>
> Cool.  Would you like to update the auth.texi manual to help fellow Mac
> OS X users with some guidelines and the note below?
>
> PR> One further problem I had was that `auth-source.el` seems to always
> PR> query `security` with a port number, and I hadn't added a port number to
> PR> the keychain item in question, so, in Keychain Access.app
>
> PR>     Where: smtp://mail.example.com:465
>
> PR> fixed the problem.
>
> Great!

I have perhaps found a related bug.

When:

    '(auth-sources (quote (macos-keychain-internet)))

and attempting to join a channel in erc, then I get the looping error:

    error in process filter: erc-channel-receive-names: Wrong type argument:
hash-table-p, nil
    error in process filter: Wrong type argument: hash-table-p, nil

When:

    '(auth-sources (quote ("~/.authinfo" macos-keychain-internet)))

then everything works as expected.

--
Paul W. Rankin
http://www.paulwrankin.com

Before printing this email please take a moment to think about the
environment. Just stop and think about it. Think about the last time you
were walking alone in a forest, how you felt at peace, how a wave of
clarity seemed to overcome you and you had to stop and reevaluate your
life, what you're doing with the limited time you have here. "Damn," you
thought, "life is so precious. I should really be doing ______." Are you
doing that now? Why not? Go on, pick up your computer and throw it out
the window! It'll be great, like that scene from Network where everyone
starts yelling "I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY
MORE." That'll be you, but it will be real. Now's your moment.