Recent problems with emacs X11, cygwin, remote X Server

From: Gulliver Smith
Subject: Recent problems with emacs X11, cygwin, remote X Server
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 16:36:17 -0500

I have tried looking for help in the cygwin mailing lists but have not
found any answers.

The situation is this:

I am running a cygwin X server on a Windows 7 Professional computer
(cygwin 64 bit).

The client emacs is running on a 32 bit Windows XP virtual machine,
again cygwin emacs, 32 bit cygwin.

The X11 emacs will not start. The failure is silent. emacs -q fails
too. Some cygwin x replies suggested that emacs is running out of
memory because it is trying to load all of the fonts. I have rerun
fc-cache on the server. The 32 bit XP VM has 4GB of ram.

The setup was running fine until sometime in September when cygwin
updates changed both the X Server and emacs. I keep updating both
every week, hoping for a change.

emacs-nox works fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks