Re: email client for only reading email from mbox

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: email client for only reading email from mbox
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:39:22 +0000

Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, 28 November 2014 18:29:17 UTC+8, Eli Zaretskii  wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I suspect that the original mbox file did indeed use Unix
>> EOLs, and the fact that this one doesn't is simply an artifact of the
>> program used to generate it on Windows.  Mbox files always use Unix
>> EOLs.
>
> I can confirm that Thunderbird mail files on my Windows PC are using
> DOS EOLs, and rmail is unable to open them properly.  I am however
> able to read them using Gnus nndoc backend.

I've used RMAIL to read Thunderbird mail files.  I haven't bothered to
convert the end-of-line characters.  For my Thunderbird mail files it
works anyway.  I don't know why the people in this thread are having
problems, perhaps Thunderbird has changed it's format (I have 31.2).

By the way, Thunderbird doesn't strictly use DOS line-endings in it's mail
files.  Each email uses whatever line-endings it came with.  Often some
of the mails in a file will have Unix line-endings and others DOS.

I have found a big problem though, UTF-8 mails.  For some reason
Thunderbird converts all UTF-8 mails to base64 when it puts them in it's
files.  Oddly it doesn't seem to do this with any other character sets.

At some point in the future I'm going to write a script to process the
Thunderbird mail files I have into proper mbox files that can be read by
RMAIL, I haven't done that yet though.

BR,
Robert Thorpe