The euro symbol in emacs

From: Guido Van Hoecke
Subject: The euro symbol in emacs
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 21:01:53 +0100

Hi,

Adapted from many posts and pages on the net, I have following piece of
lisp in my .emacs to be able to insert the euro symbol:

  (global-set-key (kbd "s-2") (lambda () (interactive)  (insert  ?€ )))

That works fine for text buffers, but it does not work in the prompt area.
It does not work e.g. when one wants to search for a € in a text buffer.

So is there really no way to specify the character code corresponding to a
key combination in such a way that it also works at the emacs prompt?

Guido