Re: pirate bay, w3m, and the interface is just an interface (BEST post e

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pirate bay, w3m, and the interface is just an interface (BEST post ever)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 00:14:01 -0500

> Look, I'm not advocating piracy - or saying you

I think using the name "pirate" and "piracy" is a mistake, unless you
want to depict this activity as distateful and/or violent.

> Look, you quite clearly are, which is quite offensive for those of us
> who believe that all people should be afforded equal rights under the
> law, including that tiny minority who strive to improve the world
> through the creation of art. It's not up to you to decide that this
> minority does not deserve the right to the work to which they give their
> lives.

Most illegal copying doesn't hurt any artist, but only hurts companies
that engage in entertainment.  Notice that they don't call themselves
"the cinema industry" but "the entertainment industry", and indeed
99% of it has nothing to do with art.

        Stefan