Shell and Shell Command

From: mflynn
Subject: Shell and Shell Command
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 16:26:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I installed 24.4.1 from the mingw32 build.  Here's what I get if I run the
version command:
GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32) of 2014-10-24 on LEG570

I had previous versions on Emacs installed.
I extracted the 24.4 files from the zip and started the executable a few times
by running runemacs.exe

If previous jobs I had got used to using bash as the shell in emacs.  In my
current job I do not program so much and I had not got the shell commands to
work. I was excited therfore to see was that ESC-! and ESC-x shell worked out
of the box, and that they ran bash commands or started a bash shell.

Then I noticed a little typo in the name of the directory where I had unpacked
Emacs.  So I deleted all the old stuff and unpacked Emacs again.  Now shell and
Esc-! shell-command start a DOS shell and accept only DOS commands.

Then I realized I had not moved the PATH to the new installation, so I edited
the Windows PATH variable (the directory structure seems different from Emacs
of a couple of years ago).

But still no bash shell - only DOS.

What do I need to do?

PATH is :
C:\Emacs;C:\Emacs\share\emacs\24.4\etc;C:\Emacs\share\info;C:\Emacs\bin;C:\Emacs\share\emacs\24.4\lisp;C:\Emacs\share\emacs\24.4\site-lisp;C:\Emacs\share\info;C:\Emacs\share\man;C:\Emacs\share\man\man1;

I know it's overkill, but I don't know what the minimum would be.

Michael