Re: help with using sql-connect

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: help with using sql-connect
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:49:27 +0300

Luca Ferrari (2014-12-17 12:07 +0300) wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to write down a simpler configuration for connecting to a
> few database:
>
> (setq sql-connection-alist
>       '((TEST (sql-product 'postgres)
>              (sql-port 5432)
>              (sql-server "localhost")
>              (sql-user "demo")
>              (sql-password "demo")
>              (sql-database "demodb"))
>         (PROD (sql-product 'postgres)
>              (setq  sql-port 5432)
>              (sql-user "demo")
>              (sql-password "demo")
>              (sql-database "demodb") ) ) )
>

> (defun pg-connect (which)
>   (interactive "sWhich database?" )
>   (setq sql-product 'postgres)
>   (let ()
>     (message "Connecting to %s" which)
>     (sql-connect which ) ) )
>

> The problem is that no matter what connection name I pass to
> pg-connect, it always answers me that "SQL Connection <TEST> does not
> exist".
> I suspect the problem is that sql-connect expects a symbol, but even
> wrapping "which" with (symbol-name) does not help.
> What am I missing?

No the problem is not in a symbol - a string should work.  At least I've
tested your code and it worked.  Are you sure "sql-connection-alist"
contains the value you expect?

Also do you really need your "pg-connect"?  You can just use "M-x
sql-connect".  However if you needed it, you may take an "interactive"
part of `sql-connect' to make completions available, so your function
may look like this:

(defun pg-connect (which)
  (interactive
   (list (sql-read-connection "Which database? ")))

--
Alex