Re: how to redraw the tool bar

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: how to redraw the tool bar
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 23:13:54 +0100

Bostjan Vilfan <bjvilfan@gmail.com> writes:

> This version uses redraw-frame; but the result with force-mode-line-update
> was the same. In effect, when I load a tex file I have to use several
> clicks before the new icons appear.

Indeed, this doesn't work for me too.

Here is a small example for emacs -Q:

(progn
  (define-key global-map [tool-bar bvdotex] 'tex-file)
  (tool-bar-local-item  "save" 'tex-file 'bvdotex tool-bar-map
                        :help "Process file with default tex command"))

Evaluate it, and you have to "do some things" until the item is displayed.
No way of redisplay helps to force the displaying of the button, and it
seems to appear after a random command.

I guess all the Emacs modes set up the toolbar before it is actually
displayed.  Doing it afterwards doesn't seem to work reliably.  I don't
see such a limitation being described in the manual, so Bostjan, please
M-x report-emacs-bug, preferably including a simple recipe as above.

Thanks,

Michael.