Re: How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 16:12:41 +0800

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am from somewhere in which people can not access to google...So, I
> want to use a socks5 proxy.
>
> I found there is socks.el, and I can use it to connect IRC. But I can
> not find a way to use it in gnus.
>
> Does anyone here has idea about it?

[eric@pellet ~]$ grep imap.gmail.com /etc/hosts
173.194.65.108 imap.gmail.com

:)

Otherwise, I use isync to sync my mail to a local dovecot server, and
have Gnus connect to that dovecot server, rather than to Gmail directly.
In that case, I can use a directive like this in my ~/.mbsyncrc file:

Tunnel "ssh server.I.own tcpconnect imap.gmail.com 993"

To run the traffic around. Of course, you need to have a server outside
the country! But if you're not using a local dovecot, you could probably
use a similar shell command in the nnimap setup of your ~/.gnus.el file.

Eric