Re: How to build the C language environment in Emacs?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: How to build the C language environment in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 15:16:17 +0100

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>> Can you both provide hard facts instead of vague FUD
>> about what makes Emacs on Windows an unpleasant
>> experience?
>
> I have been in exactly this discussion before. Even
> then there were people who said it isn't the same at
> all (and provided examples), and there were also
> people who got agitated and said "its exactly the
> same, what are you talking about, oh oh oh".
>
> I can mention dozens of things that are different
> running Emacs in a Linux VT compared to running it on
> Windows. Probably hundreds but I stopped doing it on
> Windows after two or three days and I won't do it
> again.
>
> But what is different: the colors and how to set them
> up, retrieval and installation of Emacs itself, how to
> invoke it, how you get additional software (e.g.,
> LaTeX components, and Emacs-w3m), what such software
> is available, how Emacs interacts with the rest of the
> system - it doesn't have to be IPC with named pipes or
> anything that fancy (but that would be different as
> well, because of the different OS models) - it can be
> as simple as the clipboard interaction with tmux and
> X, all that just recently discussed would be totally
> unapplicable; the keys, and how to setup special keys;

The only remote relation with Emacs usability is the lack of a package
management system on Windows (well, we have MSYS2 now, but still no
match for a Linux distro.) The rest of your diatribe consists on
"Windows is not Linux and I like Linux very much, therefore Windows is
garbage." (colors? keys? IPC? what are you talking about?)

> not to mention Windows in itself as a laughably
> bloated and annoying system with popups and nuclear
> wars all the time running amok in the, eh,
> "background".
>
> Windows is a joke. No excuses!

I'll be charitable and assume that your entire message is a joke.

Please stop spreading misinformation about the usability of Emacs on
Windows. You are damaging the Emacs project and insulting those who
contributed countless hours of their time to Emacs Windows support.