Re: locking window arrangement in a frame

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: locking window arrangement in a frame
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 10:19:27 +0200

> From: Subhan Michael Tindall <SubhanT@familycareinc.org>
> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 22:21:26 +0000
>
> Is it possible to 'lock' a configuration of window/buffer combos in a frame?

Please explain what do you mean by "locking".  E.g., what happens when
they are not "locked" that you want to avoid?

If you mean that other buffers and windows keep popping up on that
frame, then it's hard in Emacs to prevent that (although there are a
couple of features that aim at making this almost achievable).  The
easiest way of having a frame with a constant window configuration is
to do all your other work in a different frame, and simply switch
frames when you want to go to one of those "locked" windows/buffers.

> IE I use a lot of org-mode stuff, agendas, and clock everything.
> I like to have a couple of my customized agendas ready at hand, but keep
> overwriting them
> Like this
> Agenda1(w1) | Agenda2(w2)
> All in 1 frame.
> I'd love to be able to load them up, turn off follow, and 'freeze' them in
> place somehow to maintain my configuration.

Check out "dedicated windows" and functions in frameset.el.