RE: Random bus error

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: RE: Random bus error
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 13:50:19 +0000

A few things come to mind right away.

1. Run emacs -Q to get a pure, minimal emacs.
   If that crashes, then it is indeed an issue restricted to emacs. (And see
point 2.)
You probably still want your customizations, so
2. Run emacs under a debugger.
   When there's a crash grab whatever stack information you can.
   In gdb(1GNU) the magic incantation is `thread apply all bt'.
   Your debugger may be different.
3. (setq debug-on-error t) will show you certain extreme errors in your
non-optimized .emacs.
   They may not be the immediate source of the crash,
   but fixing them will eliminate distracting failures.

Hope this helps.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

"This is a slow pup," he said continuing his ascent.