Re: Redefine the `special-mode-map'

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Redefine the `special-mode-map'
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 16:02:02 +0100

​Furthermore, `setq' ​is used in order to prevent `defvar' to set the
default value in `simple.el'. This is the normal way to customize variables
prior loading their corresponding features. I've checked and in my case
`setq' is indeed run before `simple.el' is loaded. Once again, I did the
same with `undo-tree-map' customization and it worked.

On the contrary, for completeness, your recipe with `setcdr' seems to
require wrapping it in `with-eval-after-load':

(with-eval-after-load 'simple
  (setcdr special-mode-map nil)
  ...)

doesn't it?