Re: Mark

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Mark
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 00:22:02 +0700

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:21 PM, Hugh Mayfield
<hugh.mayfield@opengroupware.ch> wrote:

> Turning off CAPS LOCK does indeed seem to be the answer.  I wonder why
> that should be the case, though?

Because Caps Lock is very similar to holding down Shift, and holding
down Shift while moving point is a CUA gesture for extending the
region.

I posted about another instance of the same problem a year ago[1]. At
that time, I was pointed at “caps-mode.el”, which emulates the Caps
Lock functionality but only within “self-insert-command”; key bindings
remain unaffected.

[1]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2014-01/msg00286.html

I have not filed a bug because fixing it would mean a tremendous
breakage of backward compatibility. (Firstly, Emacs would need to know
about physical key codes, modifier bits, and, independently, about
characters which are produced by these keys with these modifiers under
the currently active keyboard layout or input method — which is a big
change in the codebase. Secondly, a careless implementation based only
on physical key codes would break non-QWERTY layouts such as Dvorak
and Colemak. Thirdly, multilingual and multi-layout users’ needs would
have to be considered.)