Re: Mark

From: Charles Millar
Subject: Re: Mark
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:16:54 -0500

On 01/12/2015 01:20 AM, Yuri Khan wrote:
On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 2:02 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:21 PM, Hugh Mayfield
<hugh.mayfield@opengroupware.ch> wrote:
Sorry for newbie question.  After a while, Emacs starts behaving all
the time as if I have typed C-SPC.  That is, whenever I move point, the
text between point and the previous location of point is highlighted.
Because Caps Lock is very similar to holding down Shift, and holding
down Shift while moving point is a CUA gesture for extending the
region.
CapsLock is not supposed to affect cursor and arrow keys, only
characters you insert.
Right, but Hugh did not indicate he is using arrow keys specifically.
With the famous Emacs supposedly-more-ergonomic-than-arrows point
movement command bindings C-n, C-p, C-b, C-f, C-a, C-e and others of
this kind, I can reproduce the problem as described, on an
uncustomized GTK+ Emacs on X/GNU/Linux.

I have (setq transient-mark-mode nil) in my .emacs; I do not use the arrow keys, rather C-p, C-n, etc. (for the "total emacs experience"). If my caps lock key is on I experience the same behavior as Hugh.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as I recall I first noticed this in December (if this occur much earlier I was not paying attention) and my set up is

GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of 2014-12-19 on brahms, modified by Debian
version jessie