Re: run ssh in emacs

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: run ssh in emacs
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:26:53 -0500

I've taken almost six hours from pressing work to get tramp to access
web servers, and have gotten nowhere.

The tramp manual says that default authorization file is
~/.authinfo.gpg. I assume I can use ~/.authinfo until I get things
working.

When I use tramp in emcas (C-x C-f), I get a quick alert: .netrc is
either not owned by you or badly protected. The latter is the case. I
have an old .netrc file with commented lines in it.

I have impression the default tramp method is ftp, but if my C-x C-f
command does not specify the method, the ssh method is instead used
because in the tramp init file I specifid ftp as tramp's default
method. I must access web servers with FTP, but I make ssh the defalt
method because that's what I use to access hosts on my LAN. So when I
access web servers I need to specify the ftp protocol.

Man authinfo and info tramp do not tell me how to specify the method in
the C-x C-f command, but I find by trial and error that I can manually
log successfully with:

    C-x C-f /ftp:user@server.com:

However, to log in automatically, I must define method and user in the
.authinfo file. I can specify user and pw for my LAN hosts, but
apparently it does not work for web servers. Thus the need to specify
method and user in the command line.

The tramp manual says my .authinfo line should look like this:

    machine server.com login Benutzer password Geheim

But this does not work, for the password is nevertheless requested.

If I insist by repeating the login, I can get this:

   ftp> user "Benutzer"
   331 Password required for user Benutzer
   530 Login incorrect
   ftp>

I rechecked with the web server, and its protocol is FTP, and my account
name and PW are correct. That I'm unable to log in automatically
therefore suggests a synax error that prevents the info in .authinfo
from being used.

Haines