Re: run ssh in emacs

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: run ssh in emacs
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 15:26:54 -0500

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> What does `auth-sources' contain?
>
> Turn `auth-source-debug' to 'trivia to see useful debug logs in
> *Messages*.  That will help you figure out what's going wrong, and what
> specifically is needed in the .authinfo file.

Thanks, Ted, but I've made no progress. Auth-sources is new to me. I've
managed for years without being aware of it. I suppose that's because
its defaults suited my needs. Now I'm variouly told it is both a library
and a variable, which leaves me uncomfortable.

I should start by describing my setup. I have several emacs init files
depending on what I intend to do with an emacs session. In .fluxbox
there is a key binding that starts an executable script named
~/scripts/emacs-util. This file runs emacs with a specific init file
that I named ~.emacsUtility. This init file has a variety of things in
it, but includes these lines:

    (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/")
        (load-library "tramp")

This ~/.emacs.d/elisp/tramp is an init file that has only these lines:

     (set auth-source-debug `trivia)
     (setq tramp-default-method "ssh")
     (require 'auth-source)
     (customize-variable 'auth-sources)

The second line is because I use SSH most often with LAN hosts. The
third and fourth lines probably unecessary.

This nesting of init files worries me, but I didn't have a problem until
recently.

I now do C-x C-f /HostName.com:

  ssh: Could not resolve hostname HostName.com. Name or server not known
  Tramp: Waiting for prompts...

  In *Messages* buffer:

    Tramp: Opening Connection for HostName.com using ssh
    Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -e None HostName.com

Beucase the web server wants the ftp protocol, my .authinfo file has the
line:

  machine HostName.com port ftp login Benutzer password Geheim

apparently this value for port is not seen. It seems the authinfo file
not being accessed at all, although it is accessed when I SSH to LAN
hosts.

Haines