Re: Location of .emacs in Windows 7

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Location of .emacs in Windows 7
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 03:02:39 +0100

Steve Graham <jsgrahamus@yahoo.com> writes:

> Using C-x C-f I can read in, edit and store .emacs in ~/.emacs .
> However, when I search for the file, I cannot find it.

There is a well-defined rule for what Emacs considers `home' (see the
"Windows HOME" node on the Emacs documentation.)

But if you just want a simple method for controlling what `~' means for
Emacs, just define a HOME environment variable (on the Control Panel)
containing the directory you wish to be `~' (said directory must exist
before running Emacs.) At startup, Emacs will read that environment
variable and interpret `~' as a shortcut to the directory it mentions.

OTOH, if you wish to know what `~' expands *now* to in Emacs, just visit
that directory with `C-x d ~ [ENTER]' and you will see on the top part
of the resulting buffer the complete path to `~', along with its
contents.

[snip]