Re: My humble additions to AUCTeX

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: My humble additions to AUCTeX
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:45:10 +0100

On 2015-01-20, at 17:32, Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Yet another example: I'd like M-b to move to the backslash when the point
> is after the comma in `foo\,'.  Normally, both (backward-word) and
> (forward-symbol -1) travel all the way to the `f'.
>
> This is the problem I had as well, when trying to add superword mode to
> AucTex. This is ultimately a limitation of emacs syntax table. AFAIK,
> there's no way to define \foo as a symbol while keeping \foo\foo as two
> separate symbols. That is, the backslash is a symbol boundary, but not a
> symbol constituent.

Exactly.

> It's perfectly possible to manually write a mode that fixes this behaviour
> for the purpose of M-f and M-b, of course. And I think that would be a
> worthy addition to AucTex.

That's what I thought.  (Especially for people who do some LaTeX
package/class writing.)  I even started hacking at it about a year ago,
but Stefan discouraged me a bit (in the sense: directed me to
superword-mode, and I didn't look at it until today).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski               This email was proudly sent
http://mbork.pl                from my Emacs.