Disappearing text

From: ackerleytng
Subject: Disappearing text
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 04:30:52 -0800 (PST)

I'm using Emacs and tramp to edit files on a virtual machine. The virtual
machine is running in the same machine as Emacs.

I'm editing c and after a while entire sections would disappear. Sometimes, all
strings would disappear, other times, comments. By disappear I mean that the
everything highlighted in that color will share the same color as the
background. Highlighting that text reveals it in a colour similar to the
background color.

When I restart Emacs by killing the server and re opening the file, the problem
goes away, but will come back.

I'm using Emacs 24.4 on Ubuntu with the solarized dark color scheme.

I'm not really sure what other information might be useful. I do this on
another machine with the same setup and it's fine there. In fact, when moving
to this machine, I copied .emacs.d and .emacs over. Is that a good way of
migrating all settings?