Re: Advice on studying Emacs Lisp files

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Advice on studying Emacs Lisp files
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 12:57:01 +0100

On 2015-01-24, at 00:38, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> > 2. In Bookmark+, standard functions `bookmark-edit-annotation',
>> > `bookmark-show-annotation', and `bookmark-show-all-annotations' are
>> > also commands.  The first two prompt you for the name of an annotated
>> > bookmark (with completion) and then show you the annotation.
>>
>> This does not seem to be the case for the latter two functions.  (I have
>> bookmark+ from the Git repo mentioned on the EW page.)
>
> What does not seem to be the case - they are not commands or they
> do not prompt you as I said?

Two of them are not interactive.

> Anyway, both claims should hold.  I suspect that you do not have
> the latest source files.  The latest files are always on Emacs Wiki.
> I cannot speak to when or how successfully mirroring happens. ;-)

I see.  I'll update my install.

>> Is it a good idea to run bmkp-light-bookmarks in a hook or something,
>> so that the bookmarks ale always visible, or can it e.g. degrade
>> performance?
>
> There are options for highlighting all bookmarks or particular
> kinds of bookmarks automatically when you jump to or set a bookmark:
> `bmkp-auto-light-when-jump' and `bmkp-auto-light-when-set'.  You
> generally do not need to fiddle with hooks (in particular, hooks
> `bookmark-after-jump-hook' and `bmkp-after-set-hook').

What I meant was that I want the bookmarks to be highlighted as soon as
I visit the file.

> Option `bmkp-light-threshold' controls the number of bookmark
> highlights.
>
> I doubt that performance will be affected in any noticeable way.
> It is more a question of what you find helpful vs what you find
> annoying.  Different strokes for different folks.

Yes.  I do not intend to use bookmarks very heavily (i.e., not too many
of them), and I'd like them to be highlighted by default, without any
explicit action.

> IMO, highlighting is most helpful for bookmarks in the current
> buffer, in particular for autonamed bookmarks or when cycling
> among bookmarks in the buffer.

Yes.  However, this seems to be a tautology: I'm *always* in the
"current buffer"!

Also, I want to use bookmarks to, well, mark places I consider bugs, for
instance.  I'd like to *see* them even when just scrolling through the
buffer.

Thanks again!

--
Marcin Borkowski