Re: Recent Emacs doesn't respect my mailcap

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Recent Emacs doesn't respect my mailcap
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 02:31:34 +0100

Hi,

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <lmi@gnus.org> writes:

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> In recent Emacs (v25+) doc-view has completely taken opening PDFs from
>> within Emacs, disregarding my preferences as stated via ~/.mailcap.
>
> Did this start happening yesterday?  Then this might be related to this
> change:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/85405

Thanks for the pointer.  It didn't start happening yesterday, but I
thought I also saw it with a fresh build, but maybe I was imaging things.

Maybe mailcap-mime-data should have an implicit USER-SET/PRIORITY flag
that is added to entries read from user-mailcaps.  These could then be
preferred by `mailcap-viewer-lessp'.  Would that solution work?

Larsi wrote in January in other thread:
>  [...] but we can perhaps tweak this later if it seems annoying.

IMO it's extremely annoying.  Doc-view is nice and all, but it's not fast
enough for being the default viewer (initial load is 5s of seconds
sampling typical pdfs from the last couple of days, zoom and scrolling is
very slow).

For now I'll eradicate doc-view from mailcap-mime-data manually.

—Rasmus

--
This message is brought to you by the department of redundant departments