Re: Options

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Options
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:55:14 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 12:41:58 AM UTC+5:30, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> On 2015-01-26, at 13:30, Dieter Britz  wrote:
>
> > I have a brand new emacs installation in my new Kubuntu
> > system, and I want to change a couple of things, but
> > can't work out how.
> >
> > I would like to change the length of the lines to
> > more characters; and I would like to change the
> > highlighting colour to yellow instead of white as it is.
> >
> > How do I do these things, and make them permanent? I can
> > of course drag the emacs window wider but that has to be
> > done every time.
> >
> > Thanks for any help here.
>
> Welcome to Emacs!
>
> Try M-x customize.  If you don't know what `M-x' means, try the built-in
> tutorial (it's somewhere in the menu and AFAIR on the splash screen -
> I have both disabled;-)).
>
> Also, you might want to look at the Emacs Wiki
> http://www.emacswiki.org/, the Emacs.SE http://emacs.stackexchange.com/
> and (last but not least) the built-in Emacs manual (C-h r).
>
> Also - for starters - Mastering Emacs http://www.masteringemacs.org/
> from Mickey Petersen and Sacha Chua's site http://sachachua.com are
> valuable resources.

Yeah reading is good.
This is probably useful
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Window-Size-X.html#Window-Size-X

For starters try these experiments
In a shell (after the '$' type:
$ emacs -g 40x30-5+6

Change the -5+6 to +5-6 and all the other 4 combos.
Then change the 40,30 [The x is needed]

To 'permanent-ize' what you what, you will need to
fix your options in one of
1 your emacs startup file
2 ~/.Xresources [see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_resources ]

In 9 out of 10 cases 1 is the preferred option.
In this case it may be 2
[Unfortunately X is a minefield]