Re: Need help with emacs clipboard.

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Need help with emacs clipboard.
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 19:02:19 +0000

<Clipping huge description of clipping>

I agree with your description of these facilities, and I now see why you
setup things the way you do.  Except one thing....

You write:
> 1. Click and hold mouse-1, drag, release.  Text is highlighted and
> placed into the primary selection.  Click mouse-2.  Primary selection
> is pasted as input.  Generally everywhere but in Emacs v24 this was
> changed to use the clipboard by default instead of the primary selection.

Then later on:
> Note that in your words "If I mark something" that at that time it has
> already been placed into the primary selection using the X Window
> System behavior.  You can immediately paste that with the mouse middle
> button.

The behaviour you describe in the latter paragraph still works for me in
Libreoffice and Firefox.  So, I don't see why you say in the former
paragraph "Generally everywhere but in Emacs v24 this was changed to use
the clipboard by default instead of the primary selection."

I don't see that it has been changed much.  Like you say yourself, when
you press C-c or C-x it's placed on the clipboard.  The only thing I've
noticed change is that C-v in those programs pastes the clipboard not
the primary selection.

Perhaps Firefox and Libreoffice are setup different by distro makers.

BR,
Robert Thorpe