RE: python-mode broken - zip and git issues

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: python-mode broken - zip and git issues
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 14:05:01 -0800 (PST)

> I've loaded a python code file and run help on 'mode-name and it is
> coming up as "Py" for the buffer. Is this correct? I seem to
> remember in the past it was "python-mode" ...
>
> I'm confused and understanding mode-name is important because
> I've written a numer of elisp defuns that check for mode-name.

I don't use python-mode, but it sounds like you are perhaps
confused about `mode-name' vs `major-mode'.

`mode-name' is just the pretty (i.e., displayed) name, which is
a string.  It sounds like what you probably want is `major-mode',
which is a symbol.

For example, for Emacs-Lisp mode:
* `mode-name' is "Emacs-Lisp"
* `major-mode' is `emacs-lisp-mode'

Always consult the doc: `C-h v mode-name'.