Re: Easy/Possible to globally change prompt strings of messages? e.g. ch

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Easy/Possible to globally change prompt strings of messages? e.g. changing find-file's prompt string from "Find file:" to "open file:" ?
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 19:31:59 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 3:41:46 AM UTC+5:30, Drew Adams wrote:
> > > OK.  Thanks everyone for your help.  I think I'll just get used to "Find
> > > file" for now. :)
> >
> > For now.  Yeah, sure.
> > And in five years, when some Emacs newbie asks you about all those
> > strange terms, you'll say: "Young \(wo\)?man, forget about the newspeak
> > of opening files in panes, using tabs, cutting and pasting, moving the
> > cursor and pressing Ctrl+F.  Instead, embrace the ancient wisdom of
> > visiting files in windows, using buffers, killing and yanking, moving
> > the point and pressing C-s."  Welcome to the rabbit hole.
>
> Yup.  "Ancient wisdom" or not, rabbit hole or not, that's the Emacs
> jargon.
>
> Suppose you do change things locally to teach Emacs not to use its
> own jargon etc. - and you can do so to different degrees, though it
> might mean jumping through a few hoops (is it worth it?).
>
> Then you have difficulty communicating with (e.g., helping) others,
> because that jargon is what is used by the application itself and its
> community.
>
> For better or worse.  Learn to speak Emacs - that's my advice.  Whether
> you think it represents "ancient wisdom" or not.  And if you feel strongly
> about some bit of jargon, then argue on emacs-devel  to change it.

I started using emacs around '92 -- context was (some predecessor) of comint.
Teaching python with emacs 10 years later.

And now for the first time in all these years, Ive switched from emacs to idle
(for teaching python)

Sad....

Yeah beauty, power, generality, programmability, cuteness and much else is fine
But ultimately the need to back out of the rabbit hole wins

[Just to be clear: Ive not given up on emacs, just given up on emacs-evangelism]