How to build emacs? (2015-02 Fedora)

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: How to build emacs? (2015-02 Fedora)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 07:32:12 -0500

I'm embarrassed to have to ask this, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to
build emacs. I decided to do this because the version I get from my distro is:
 GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9) of 2014-09-30
on buildvm-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org

and lately when I try to install packages from ELPA I receive errors about not
having emacs 24.4; ergo sum, I'm trying to get the latest and greatest. But I
followed these steps:

1. Get relevant links from https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs
2. Run git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

And this is where progress ends. I try to follow the INSTALL instructions, but
they simply don't make sense:

$ ./configure
        bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
$ find -name "configure"        # no results
$ ./make-dist
        ./make-dist: You must set the EMACS environment variable  to an
absolute file name.
$ autoconf
        configure.ac:54: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_ECHO
              If this token and others are legitimate, please use
m4_pattern_allow.
              See the Autoconf documentation.
        configure.ac:95: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
        configure.ac:245: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
        configure.ac:769: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_CC_C_O
        configure.ac:780: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
        configure.ac:1037: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_SILENT_RULES
        configure.ac:1043: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_SUBST_NOTMAKE
        configure.ac:1494: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_default
$ ./configure
        configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in
build-aux "."/build-aux

Now, I could start going about trying to address these problems individually,
but the fact that I'm led astray immediately indicates that I might have more
fundamental problems.

What's going on? How can I build emacs?

System: Fedora Linux 20, 64-bit.