Re: Building emacs errors: libraries present

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: Building emacs errors: libraries present
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 01:02:16 +1100

Tory S. Anderson writes:

Okay; I've succeeded finally in building by soft-linking all the libraries it SHOULD have been finding into the main directories. I'm not sure why it cannot use libpng 16 and instead requires 15. E.g. I did this:

    sudo ln -s /anaconda/lib/libpng15.so /usr/lib64/

Taking care of any non-found files that way solved all problems. ldconfig looks interesting, but I don't seem to have a manpage on it. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the issue. Soft links seemed to do the trick for me.

Very odd that your system doesn't have a manpage for ldconfig(8)! Here's the opening paragraph of that man page on my system:

"ldconfig creates, updates, and removes the necessary links and cache (for use by the run-time linker, ld.so) to the most recent shared libraries found in the directories specified on the command line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted directories (/usr/lib and /lib). ldconfig checks the header and file names of the libraries it encounters when determining which versions should have their links updated. ldconfig ignores symbolic links when scanning for libraries."

Basically, when you install new shared libraries on your system, you need to run /sbin/ldconfig in order to refresh the cache of available shared libraries. As someone else has pointed out, the directories searched for libraries is specified in /etc/ld.so.conf and related files; if you install shared libraries outside of those paths, you'll need to add the new paths to /etc/ld.so.conf (or possibly some other file, depending on the system's setup).

How are you installing the extra libraries? Are you installing the relevant -devel packages from your distro's repos, or are you manually compiling and installing them yourself? If the latter, then you'll need, as noted elsewhere in this thread, to make sure they're being installed in a path specified by /etc/ld.so.conf, or modify the latter file appropriately.

Needing to create symbolic links manually, as you have done, should normally not be necessary.

Alexis.