Two escapes as a prefix

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Two escapes as a prefix
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 11:03:49 -0900

Using emacs 24 on Mac OS X 10.7. All keybindings are designed to be
used in terminal mode.
See
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html
as my main reference.

I've created a number of prefix keys using C-c and an alpha
character. It has occurred to me that some of the most commonly used
sequences could have briefer alternate bindings using two escapes as
a prefix.

Example : coming from vim, Control-[ is second nature and pressing
the control key and '[' twice is almost as fast.

Control-[ Control-[ Control-h
shows me only

ESC ESC ESC     keyboard-escape-quit
and
ESC M-:         eval-expression

This opens up the possibility of
ESC M-(a...z)

To be clear, I'm proposing alternate bindings, so possible
overwrites by incidental major or minor modes wouldn't "cripple" me.

I'd welcome comments and observations. I expect I will be
edified serendipitously.

thanks
--
Tim