Re: Automatic recognition of some specific coding systems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Automatic recognition of some specific coding systems
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:28:35 +0200

> From: Jürgen Hartmann <juergen_hartmann_@hotmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:31:46 +0100
>
> Most of the text files that I have to work with are encoded with one
> of the coding systems
>
>    utf-8-unix
>    latin-9-unix
>    cp850-dos
>
> Therefore, it was very convenient for me that the version 22.3 of
> Emacs was (after some minor configuration) perfectly able to
> automatically recognize these coding systems from the contents of the
> respective files. As I understand, this was possible because in that
> old Emacs version these tree systems were associated with three
> different coding categories, i.e.
>
>    coding-category-utf-8
>    coding-category-iso-8-1   (meanwhile depreciated)
>    coding-category-ccl
>
> respectively.
>
> Now switching to Emacs 24.4, I found that two of these coding systems,
>
>    latin-9-unix
>    cp850-dos
>
> were bunched together into the category
>
>    coding-category-charset
>
> presumably with the consequence that I have to choose which one of
> these two systems will not be automatically recognized any more.
>
> Is this conclusion correct?

No, I don't think so.  There's no direct relation between categories
and recognition of encoding.

If you have specific problems, i.e. if Emacs doesn't recognize the
encoding of some file(s), please post the details.  (I'd suggest to
try in "emacs -Q" first, because some problems might be caused by your
customizations that need to be removed or adapted to the new version.)
Then people here could review the problems and advise you about
possible solutions, or ask you to file a bug report.

But in general, there shouldn't be any regressions in recognizing
encodings.