Re: How get escape sequence generated by keyboard shortcut in Emacs?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: How get escape sequence generated by keyboard shortcut in Emacs?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:45:01 +0000

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> Andrey Lisin <andrey.lisin@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> sometimes it's necessary to know what sequence generates particular
>> keyboard shortcut. In my case, for instance, I need to know, what escape
>> sequences is generated by Shift+arrow shortcut. Of course, I can look in
>> terminal emulator settings, but I wish there would be a way to make
>> Emacs show sequences it receives.
>
> Try ^h k
>
> then hit shift arrow.
>
> In an rxvt, I just see <shift>.

That's right C-h k shows the key you press.  If it's bound then it pops
up a help buffer with the key in it and a description of what it does.
If it's unbound then it shows the key in the echo area and says
something like "C-' is undefined".

Using a terminal emulator window limits the number of keys you can use.
The keys you press are translated by the terminal emulator into the form
that actual terminals emitted, Emacs recieves the result of that.  For
example, in a terminal C-m and <return> are the same.  In GUI Emacs you
can remap them to different things, but in terminal Emacs both will
always do whatever C-m does.

BR,
Robert Thorpe